We currently have 70 boys under our care. Our goal is to help these children and others be in safe and loving families.
Currently, we support:
- Education through tuition assistance (primary, secondary schools, and vocational training)
- Essential needs shelter, clean water, nutritious food, and clothing
- Medical support to help get and stay healthy and hospital care when needed
- Counseling services that include one-to-one and group therapy lead by a trained social worker
Watch this video
What is Family-based care?
The focus of Family-based care is providing the love, nurture, and security that allows a child to thrive through reunification with biological parents, kinship care, foster care, or adoption.
Also, a vital part of supporting family care is strengthening families to prevent unnecessary separation.
To this end, we are doing the following:
- Reuniting children with their families and communities
- Locating families, parents, and kin for children
- Building awareness in the community about child protection, alternative care, and create a legal framework around the care of children and their rights.
Changing the way we care to family-based approach
Children should be families and kinship care, not orphanages. Research affirms that the best environment for children is within a loving, secure family.
We seek the best interest of each child, which is finding a permanent family setting as soon as possible.
Children have the best chance to thrive when they grow up in a family.
That's why we're committed to strengthening families, and we are now shifting towards a family-based care model.
St. Mugagga Family Hope Center
We're raising funds to help us transition our children home to provide child-centered, family-focused places where families go to find hope, get support, and empowerment in their community to reach their fullest God-given potential.
The key to the St. Mugagga Family Hope Center's success comes from combining effective programs and passionate people to help families that are experiencing poverty, family issues, and lack of services.
Our programs seek to engage through family assistance and community events; equip families through education, financial empowerment, child and youth development, and spiritual growth. We elevate families through family coaching, counseling, and spiritual enrichment.
Family Hope Centers in Uganda also have tutoring, medical support, training, therapy, to meet the basic needs of families who live nearby.
Family-based care and Kinship care
St. Mugagga is helping with family-based care services. In most cases, kinship care – where extended families take care of children whose parents have died or abandoned them.
These family members receive financial support, food, school allowance, health care, and parenting coaching from our staff.
We know that children have the best chance to thrive when they grow up in a family. That's why we're committed to strengthening families and helping keep them together.
We provide education, healthcare, spiritual development, and skills training build a strong foundation for empowerment and self-sufficiency. Also, we help parents gain skills that can to help sustain their families for the long-term, including:
- Necessities, such as food and healthcare as needed
- Parenting skills training with structured programming
- Family support counseling via trained therapists and social workers
- Life skills training
- Economic planning and job skill development so that they earn income from trade skills, such as baking, knitting, sewing, welding, computers, or bookkeeping and more